AMSE Admissions Test
ONLY applicants that have applied to the Academy for Math, Science, and Engineering will be required to take a math admissions test in January 2021.
- Applicants will be given one hour to complete the test.
- It will be pen and paper rather than computer-based.
- The test is based on the New Jersey Student Learning Standards.
- Applicants are not permitted to use a personal calculator on the test (unless stated in an IEP/504 and verified by MCVSD).
The exam includes, but is not limited, to the following areas of focus:
- Students will be required to:
- Set up and solve problems involving ratios, proportions, and percents
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions
- Add, subtracting, multiply and divide signed numbers
- Simplify linear expressions
- Solve linear equations
- Solve a set of linear equations
- Use slope and y-intercept to compare lines
- Set up linear functions using contextual descriptors
- Solve problems requiring geometry:
- Geometry of 2D Shapes: Area and Perimeter of Common Shapes
- Geometry 3D Shapes: Volume and Surface Area of Common Solids
- Geometry of Triangles: Finding Missing Angles and Missing Sides (Pythagorean Theorem)
- Geometry of Angles: Complementary, Supplementary, Vertical, and Adjacent Angles
Problems Solving Focus
- Students will be asked to:
- Solve multi-step problems that require the use of common skills in unfamiliar situations.
- Use a set of directions to evaluate an expression of an unfamiliar mathematical operation.
Please refer to the Admissions Handbook for all details.