Academy for Biotechnology
LOCATED AT MOUNTAIN LAKES HIGH SCHOOL, The Academy for Biotechnology is a rigorous STEM program that prepares students for postsecondary studies in majors related to the biotechnology industry. Students in the Academy will develop research and laboratory skills that will enable them to learn in a hands-on, project-based model.
Degrees and Certifications:
Career Field - Biotechnology
Career Pathways in Biotechnology (include but are not limited to):
Biotechnology Research and Development: Biochemist, Bioinformatics Scientist, Biomedical Chemist, Biomedical Manufacturing Technician, Biostatistician, Cancer Registrar, Cell Biologist, Clinical Data Management Specialist, Clinical Pharmacologist, Clinical Trials Monitor, Clinical Trials Research Coordinator, Crime Scene Investigator, Diagnostic Molecular Scientist, Forensic Biologist, Forensic Chemist, Forensic Odontologist, Forensic Pathologis,t Genetic Counselor, Geneticist-Lab Assistant, Lab Technician, Medical Editor/Writer, Microbiologist, Molecular Biologist, Nurse Researcher, Packaging Technician, Patent Lawyer, Pharmaceutical/Clinical Project Manager, Pharmaceutical Sales Representative, Pharmaceutical Scientist, Pharmacokineticist, Parmacologist,Product Safety Scientist,Process Development Scientist Processing Technician,Quality Assurance Technician,Quality Control Technician,Regulatory Affairs Specialist,Research Assistant,Research Scientist,Toxicologist
The Academy for Biotechnology has not yet completed internships. The first senior class will be in 2021.
Academy Course of Study
- Honors Biotech Biology
- Experimental Design
- Molecular & Agricultural Biotechnology
- College Option:
- Providing students meet the academic criteria, they may attend County College of Morris, Ramapo College, Kean University or Centenary University for all courses and earn up to 24 credits paid for Morris County Vocational School District
- Continue at Mountain Lakes High School for advanced courses/projects including:
- Advanced Topics in Biotechnology
- Capstone Research Project in Biotechnology
- AP and honors-level academic classes
- Structured Learning Experience (SLE):
- All Seniors must complete 120 hours of an approved internship in their respective career field.